Monday, March 17, 2014

Living Room / Dining Room Progress

We have some progress happening in the living room and dining room area and it feels so good. Here are some before pictures to remind you of what it looked like BEFORE...






Now here are the progress pictures. It's all been painted, which I think I shared before, but not very many pictures. I started putting up these decals above the piano but.....

...Adam hated them. He said it looked like a teenage girl's room. Fair enough. I couldn't disagree with him. I do believe he is right on this one. Sigh. Sometimes I forget that I am decorating a house that other people live in. It's so fun to do what I want to do but this decal diversion was not in keeping with Adam's one request which is: "Please make it look like a guy lives here, too." It is the ultimate challenge because I've become more girly as the years go by. Weird, right? I only started liking pink a couple years ago... strangely, about the time my daughter was born...there is a definite correlation. 

Anyway, I took the decals down and put this mirror up as a place holder. While the mirror is fun, it's not the right scale (it looks even smaller than it is in this picture) and I'm planning to make or buy a bigger piece of sophisticated, yay, even manly-ish, type of abstract art for the space. That wall is so weird, it kinda baffles me. 
We just got our new dining table that we ordered in, ahem, October from West Elm. Ha! I asked for a discount since they'd delayed the shipping about three times. They gave it to me, so that helped ease the pain a bit.
We really love this table. It's beefy and solid. I like that. I look at it sometimes and think, "conference table," and other times I think it fits perfectly. It has a way of looking big but also fitting the space pretty well. Ideally, I'd take out that bar counter and make it an island without the overhang because that's what gets in the way when you try to sit down on the side next to the counter, but we probably won't get that ambitious with this house. You can see the hodge podge chair look which isn't exactly what I'm going for but it somehow happened anyway. One of the white chairs broke and we had guests for dinner last night so this is how we seated everyone. It was fun to finally have space for six (plus four kids coming back and forth)! It's supposed to fit eight, but we shall see.
We've had our couch for a month or two. It feels so good to have a couch instead of the chair and settee we lived on for a long time.


This couch is probably my most favorite possession in the whole entire world. It's from West Elm and the fabric is ink blue performance velvet. It is a thing of beauty. The chaise can either be attached or not. We haven't attached it, so sometimes there's a little space, but it hasn't bothered us.
The rug is also from West Elm. It's wool and sheds like a cat. It is NOT a good complement to the fabric on the couch. Duly noted. Next time, don't get a velvet couch and a shedding wool rug. The couch looks like it has been rolled over on by a cat daily.

I got rid of my TV stand and got a couple new baskets, one for blankets, one for toys.
I need some kind of art on the wall to the left of the TV. I'd really like to paint the book shelf a different color, too, but we'll see.

Some of these other walls need some colorful art to liven them up. I don't really have a plan for that yet, so we'll see what happens.

This is my kitchen wall which currently hosts all the preschool art projects.
I'm not exactly sure what I should do with the wall in the long term. I've considered even putting a small desk here.
But I don't want to feel like this room, which is the living room, dining room, and kitchen all in one, feel like it has too much furniture. It's important to me to have some uninterrupted running space for the kids, and this spot gets run over a million times a day, especially since it's on the way to the pantry, which is their favorite cave in which to hoard toys and make a huge mess. :)
If you have thoughts or ideas or solutions, especially for this puzzling kitchen wall, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment: